Every year in my favorite magazines they usually have some sweet article about May Day (May 1st), and the tradition of leaving nosegays of flowers on neighbors' doorsteps. And every year I look at those sweet articles and let May Day pass unnoticed. But not this year!
So I needed some (free) vessels for leaving flowers on friends' doors, and came up with this little project. You can totally do this today. It takes no time.
You will need:
*glue gun/glue stick
*small glass jar
*short length of wire
1. Prep your jar: I used a glass spice jar. Secure a piece of wire under the rim, then thread your ribbon under it on either side and tie it off. Make sure the ribbon is long enough to hang on a doorknob with the flowers sticking out. Cut off excess wire and push the tail of the wire against the jar as much as you can (or use needlenose pliers). Floral wire would probably work just fine too.
2. Tear out eight colorful pages from your magazine. Fold them each in half lengthwise, twice. Then fold halfway to the other side lengthwise, then fold once more to the edge.
3. Find the middle of one of your paper strips and glue down the fold so it doesn't pop up on you. Lay another on top to make a "+" sign and glue it to the previous strip. Continue doing this until you've glued all 8 strips in a star pattern. These should be laying right side down.
4. Glue down the outer edges of the strips, again so they're not popping up.
5. Place your jar in the center of the strips of paper (push the ribbon down into the jar), and starting with the strip closest to the jar, glue the strips to the jar.
6. Cut off the excess length of paper, then glue down any remaining pieces at the top that are popping up.
7. Tie another length of ribbon around the top into a bow, and you're done!
Option: if your jar is taller, glue two paper strips together to make one long strip so it will go up the whole height of the jar.
I like the pleated effect the strips make. I also did this with print-only pages for a black and white one, which I love too. Now all I have to do is buy flowers!